From the Resident Advisory Council: June 2019

Tom Kelly

By Tom Kelley

Marketing & Human Resources Liaison, Resident Advisory Council

During my first term as a member of the RAC, many residents approached me with ideas they would like to see implemented in the lifestyle of Riderwood. I took those suggestions to our semi-monthly meetings only to discover the other RAC members had been approached regarding the same issues.

At several of our subsequent meetings, we discussed how we might consolidate the concerns of our fellow residents. After a great exchange of ideas, it was proposed that we set up a series of “Listening Sessions” at which residents could share with us their concerns, while at the same time RAC members would remain silent taking notes.

We found this endeavor to be well received, and those in attendance considered it to be very successful. The RAC is now planning “Listening Sessions” for 2019. The dates and places are as follows:

• Wednesday, June 5, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Montgomery Station Classroom

• Wednesday, June 12, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Village Square Music Room (sign language interpreter present)

• Thursday, June 27, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Town Center Classroom

Hope to see to see you there!

Financial Frequently Asked Questions

Is the monthly service fee tax deductible for residents in Independent Living?

No portion of your standard monthly service fee is allocated to medical care. Therefore, it is not allowed as a tax deduction for residents of Independent Living. Other charges included in your monthly bill may qualify as a medical expense that you may be able to claim, such as co-pays and out-of-pocket expenses for prescriptions and office visits, nurse/aide visits, wheelchair escorts, transportation to hospitals or other medical facilities, etc. The IRS has offered limited guidance on the details of the computation of the deductible portion of CCRC fees. Accordingly, the IRS may challenge amounts reported on your tax return. Please note that Riderwood does not provide tax advice and recommends that you consult a tax advisor before addressing any tax-related issue.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s